Yuchen Jiang, The University of Adelaide
Applications close Monday 23 October
This grant supports mathematical sciences students at AMSI Member Universities to build and extend their skills and professional networks by providing full or partial accommodation and travel support to participate in AMSI Summer School 2024 in Canberra.
Note: There is a limited amount of grant funding available. It is expected that you research financial support options available through your home university and ask your supervisor/course coordinator for support to attend Summer School before making an application for an AMSI Grant.
Students applying for a grant must upload a letter of support from their supervisor/course coordinator/Head of School that includes a statement supporting their request for financial assistance and what funding is being provided by the home university.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their home university guidelines BEFORE booking travel.
Before applying, read the AMSI Travel Grant rules below.
1. AMSI Travel Grants provide full or partial support for mathematical sciences and cognate discipline students enrolled at an AMSI Member institution to participate in AMSI Flagship programs (AMSI Summer School, AMSI Winter School, AMSI BioInfoSummer)
2. Applicants must, at the time of the event, satisfy the following criteria:
(a) Be enrolled in a mathematical sciences or cognate discipline degree at an AMSI Member University
Preference will be given to applicants from mathematics and statistics departments, however, students from cognate disciplines are invited to apply with the support of the AMSI Member representative at your university.
3. Funding is available for:
(a) Participant travel from their home university to the program host city and/or
(b) Accommodation in the host city for the duration of the program
Funding is awarded to a capped amount for each item requested.
Funding will not be granted for day-to-day expenses, for example groceries, clothes, toiletries, taxis, Ubers etc
4. Each applicant can receive at most one AMSI Travel Grant in any one-year period/12-month period
5. Applications may be submitted at any time before the Travel Grant Application deadline and will be considered according to the schedule outlined.
6. Applications should consist of the completed application form, and a letter of support from your current supervisor, Honours Coordinator or Head of Mathematical Sciences clearly stating that they support your application for this grant and what funding your home university is able to offer.
To complete your application the following information is required:
The letter of support from your supervisor/course coordinator/Head of School should be a formal letter of recommendation:
It need only be brief (100-200 words) and submitted on university letterhead or contain your supervisor’s formal email signature.
7. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the overall benefit to the applicants. AMSI and/or the Event Director may seek additional advice as required.
8. In applying for an AMSI Travel Grants applicants agree:
(a) that their name, photo and/or biography can be published on the event website, and for other AMSI reports and promotional material
(b) to submit a short written report about the event within 30 days of completion of the program to be used in AMSI reports, websites, newsletters and other promotional material. A report template will be provided by AMSI
(c) to complete the post event feedback survey
9. Recipients must participate fully in the program that they have received funding for including completing the attendance tasks for their nominated Summer School subjects.
Successful applicants must confirm acceptance of the Travel Grant in writing as per the Grant notification letter. Offers not accepted within this time may be withdrawn and may be offered to other applicants.
10. The AMSI Travel Grant is paid on confirmation of full attendance from the AMSI Summer School Event Director.
Funding is awarded to a capped amount as outlined in the Grant notification letter.
The attendee must submit tax invoices for the agreed items to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university produces an invoice to claim the reimbursement from ANU (the host university).
The invoice should include the following details:
Note: It is the responsibility of the applicant to check their university guidelines before booking travel
** Full reimbursement details will be outlined in the funding notification email sent to all Travel Grant recipients**