Jia Jun (Harry) Ooi, Murdoch University
Applications close 11.59pm, Sunday 08 November
AMSI Summer School Scholarships provide full or partial support for students enrolled in the mathematical sciences and cognate discipline at an to participate in AMSI Flagship programs including AMSI Summer School 2021. These scholarships help to cover program registration fees for the four-week school and is only available to students enrolled in an AMSI Member University at the time of the event.
Female, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note: All applicants will need to upload a Letter of Support (from a current supervisor, honours coordinator, or head of department) to support their Scholarship Application.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their home university guidelines before applying for and paying Summer School fees.
Before applying, please read the AMSI Scholarship eligibility criteria, rules and processes outlined below. If you have any questions about Summer School Scholarships and/or the Scholarship Application Form please Contact Us.
1. AMSI Scholarships provide full or partial support for mathematical sciences and cognate discipline students enrolled at an AMSI Member institution to participate in AMSI Flagship programs (AMSI Summer School, AMSI Winter School, AMSI BioInfoSummer, AMSI Optimise)
2. Applicants must, at the time of the event, satisfy the following criteria:
(a) Be enrolled in a mathematical sciences or cognate discipline degree at an AMSI Institution
Preference will be given to applicants from mathematics and statistics departments, however, students from cognate disciplines are invited to apply with the support of the AMSI Member representative at your university.
3. Funding is available for:
(a) Summer School Fees
4. Each applicant can receive at most one AMSI Scholarship or AMSI Travel Grant in any one-year period/12-month period
5. Applications may be submitted at any time before the Scholarship Application deadline and will be considered according to the schedule outlined.
6. Applications should consist of the completed application form, and a letter of support from your current supervisor, Honours Coordinator or Head of Mathematical Sciences clearly stating that they support your application for this scholarship.
To complete your application the following information is required:
The letter of support from your Supervisor, Honours Coordinator OR Head of School should be a formal letter of recommendation vouching for your capabilities and suitability to attend this program, the benefit of you attending the school from an academic standpoint and supporting your request for financial assistance. It need only be brief (e.g. 100-200 words) and submitted on university letterhead or contain your Supervisor’s formal email signature. The Summer School Event Director and Committee will take these into account when reviewing all scholarship applications to approve and confirm all the final attendants for the program.
7. Scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the overall benefit to the applicants. AMSI and/or the Event Director may seek additional advice as required.
8. In applying for an AMSI Scholarship applicants agree:
(a) that their name, photo and/or biography can be published on the event website, and for other AMSI reports and promotional material
(b) to submit a short written report about the event within 30 days of completion of the program to be used in AMSI reports, websites, newsletters and other promotional material. A report template will be provided by AMSI
(c) to complete the post event feedback survey
9. Recipients must participate fully in the program that they have received funding for
Successful applicants must confirm acceptance of the Scholarship in writing as per the Scholarship Notification Letter. Offers not accepted within this time may be withdrawn and may be offered to other applicants.
10. The AMSI Scholarship is paid on confirmation of full attendance from the AMSI Summer School Event Director.
Funding is awarded to a capped amount as outlined in the Scholarship Notification Letter.
The attendee must submit their Summer School application tax invoice to their home university to arrange reimbursement. The university provides an invoice to claim the reimbursement from The University of Adelaide (the host university).
The invoice should include the following details:
Note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to check their home university guidelines before applying for and paying Summer School fees